mardi 2 juin 2009

/some vegetarians/

ok. disclaimer: I say some, 'cause I know there is a variety of vegetarians with a variety of views.

So I was reading a blog about people in Seoul who ate wriggling, live octopus. Of course, something like that is bound to attract comments like:

i'm a vegetarian, i have been one since before i was born, because my mom had a vegetarian diet while i was in gestation.
I feel sorry for the people who eat animals, because simply they do not know how detrimental for their health this nasty habit they got. they are told since they are born is ok to eat meat. I was told differently...
but these people grow up believing it is ok for them to eat an animal.
I can just imagine how hard it would be for a meat eater to become a vegetarian in a really short time. because i've heard those people just love the taste and can't just stop eating like that...
i feel sorry for them, i truly do
the damage to the ecosystem is gigantic, but they don't care... they are feeding themselves with animal hormons and poisons.... but they don't care, they just love the taste but they don't consider an animal life is being destroyed in the process just cos someone loves how it taste
how sick
i'm ashamed of the planet i'm living in
but i'm sure things will change
and all you meat eaters will pay
first mad cow disease
now avian flu
what else is to come?


Hmm...I honestly don't think any of that can be blamed on us *eating* meat, but rather that we *modify* or *genetically engineer* our foods. It happens to animals, it happens to plants. I *really* don't understand the "harming the ecosystem" thing....I honestly have never heard that come out of any qualified persons in the field of biology/ecology. What I have heard is a variety of reasons why a vegetarian diet (supplemented by alternative sources of proteins and whatever other nutrients meat gives you) would be very healthy. I've also heard how a vegetarian diet can be unhealthy due to a lack of essential nutrients. Anyway, I've always been taught that a "balanced" diet will keep me healthy...plus we are built to be omnivores. When she said that our health is doomed because we're meat eaters...well, we can make ourselves unhealthy by eating anything, really. In my World Prehistory class, it was found through remains of early humans that a switch to sedentary/agriculture lifestyle actually hurt us. All sorts of complications arose from switch to a diet more dependent upon starches as in, "Wow, that bacteria can sure chip away at my teeth while eating that corn stuck on my teeth 'cause I have not yet discovered tooth paste." I'm not sure what that story was supposed to accomplish, but I do know that something like that comment up there was ignorant/close-minded, whatever you want to call it.

So this other comment got to me, and I feel like I must respond:

Why can't they just kill it first, what's the difference in taste!? ... exactly. So stop this cruelty now. Sick sick bastards.


Firstly, I can't imagine calling anyone a "sick bastard" for choosing to have a certain eating style. Having a set taste myself, I can understand people not getting the point of eating certain things or not eating certain things (like I have been in the past). However, "sick bastard" or a mockery/disgust aimed toward a whole culture of food is uncalled for. :( In terms of just-dead lobster and other similar seafood, I have heard from a lot of people (that I both know and don't know) that it *does* significantly change the taste of the food. While I have not experienced it myself...I don't believe that such a large population of people can all be hallucinating/delusional at the same time. So....I will try to confirm/deny that one day, but for now, I take it, seeing as my sigfig has confirmed it and I trust their judgment.

I aldo don't understand this "cruelty". This is done to try a different taste, texture, and have a different overall dining experience. I don't think anyone is sitting there laughing maniacally and plotting to make the world population of octopus suffer. I also seriously don't think that anyone is getting a sick enjoyment out of eating it....rather I get the feeling that most people who are fascinated by this food (like I am) are simply just curious as to what it tastes like. What's so wrong with being curious about different directions in the exploration of food? While I might be a little squeamish about it at first, I would not be hasty in making judgments about people eating it/the dish itself. In reply to people like that girl in the first comment: I wish I lived in a world where I don't have to be disgusted by people's hasty judgment about a food/food culture.

Aucun commentaire: