lundi 23 juillet 2007

Harry Potter--an "early morning revelations" stimulant

It all begins with Snape's story with Lily Potter, Harry's mom. Funny how the things I pick out from this book aren't really silly spells and magic...

But first....some of my other thoughts.

“'But he’s there! Potter’s there! Someone grab him!'
Before Harry could speak, there was a massive movement. The Gryffindors in front of him had risen and stood facing, not Harry but the Slytherins. Then the Hufflepuffs stood and, almost at the same moment, the Ravenclaws, all of them with their backs to Harry, all of them looking towards Pansy instead, and Harry, awestruck and overwhelmed, saw wands emerging everywhere, pulled form beneath cloaks and under sleeves.”
--imcredible image to me. All against one.

“He yearned not to feel….He wished he could rip out his innards, everything that was screaming inside him….”
_____________________________________________

“’And will it really come by owl?’ Lily whispered
‘Normally,’ said Snape. ‘But you’re Muggle-born, so someone from the school will have to come and explain it to your parents.’
‘Does it make a different being Muggle-born?’
Snape hesitated. His black eyes, eager in the greenish gloom, moved over the pale face, the dark red hair.
‘No,’ he said. ‘It doesn’t make any difference’”

“’Doesn’t your dad like magic?’
‘He doesn’t like anything much,’ said Snape.
‘Severus?’
A little smile twisted Snape’s mouth when she said his name.
‘Yeah?’
‘Tell me about the dementors again.’”

I was reading and had to stop to think about something….If Snape and Lily were best friends…Snape clearly cared about Lily…since they were mere neighbors…then…How can they stop being best friends? I…I don’t get that concept. I don’t like being lied to. I consider a withdrawn friendship the most heinous lie I will ever encounter. I consider a fake friendship despicable. I don’t understand it. I don’t understand how someone can stop being a friend….She disapproved of his choice in company, but…he had no intent in doing the same things; does the matter of company affect how you are inside? Does love affect a person that much? Does “falling in love” affect how you are to your friends? I mean to say, if the person you loved didn’t approve of your friends, would you follow them in that judgment as well? Would I do that? Would I ever? Does unrequited love make you feel so wretched inside that you turn to obeying evil? In the book it’s an external evil, but symbolically….it could very well be internal. Is the power so great that you will abandon what you knew and follow something you didn’t…just because your love was unrequited? Will I ever do that? Will I let myself sink down to that level? If I were to love someone, would I know? Would I keep a straight head? Would I ever love someone who tears me up to the point of betraying who I am? Would I know to get out? Is it possible to get out? Does it cloud your judgment from what a person truly is? Will it cloud mine? I don’t understand these feelings at all….

Aucun commentaire: